GDPR Privacy Notice
Doane University is committed to safeguarding the privacy of personal data. This Privacy Notice outlines the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information provided to the University by students, faculty and staff, alumni and other members of our community. When information is submitted to Doane, or you use the University's websites and other services, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information as described in this Privacy Notice.
Data Collection and University Use of Information
Doane University collects and processes personal data ("Information") from individuals only as necessary in the exercise of the University's legitimate interests, functions and responsibilities as a private, non-profit institution of higher education. Information collected from students or student applicants is used to register or enroll persons in the University, provide and administer housing to students, manage a student account, provide academic advising, develop and deliver education programs, track academic progress, analyze and improve education programs, recruitment, regulatory reporting, auditing, maintenance of accreditation, and other related University processes and functions. Doane also collects and processes information from individuals who are applicants for employment positions.
Doane uses Information to conduct general demographic and statistical research to improve University programs, to identify appropriate support services or activities, provide reasonable accommodations, enforce University policies or comply with applicable laws.
Third Party Use of Sensitive Information
We may disclose your Sensitive Information and other Information as follows:
- Consent: We may disclose Information if we have your consent to do so.
- Emergency Circumstances: We may share your Information when necessary to protect your interests and/or if you are physically or legally incapable of providing consent.
- Employment Necessity: We may share your Information when necessary for administering employment or social security benefits in accordance with applicable law or any applicable collective bargaining agreement, subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- Public Information: We may share your Information if you have manifestly made it public.
- Archiving: We may share your Information for archival purposes in the public interest, and for historical research and statistical purposes.
- Performance of a Contract: We may share your Information when necessary to administer a contract you have with the University.
- Legal Obligation: We may share your Information when the disclosure is required or permitted by international, federal, and state laws and regulations.
- Service Providers: Information may be shared by Doane with third parties who have entered into contracts with the University to perform functions on behalf of the University, subject to the obligation of confidentiality and safeguarding from unauthorized disclosure.
- University-Affiliated Programs: We may share your Information with parties that are affiliated with the University for the purpose of contacting you about goods, services, charitable giving or experiences that may be of interest to you.
- De-Identified and Aggregate Information: We may use and disclose Information in de-identified or aggregate form without limitation.
Doane implements appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your information when you transmit it to us and when we store it on our information technology systems.
Cookies and Other Technology
Retention and Destruction of Your Information
Your information will be retained by the University in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. The retention period of Information will be in accordance with University policies. Your information will be destroyed upon your request unless applicable law requires destruction after the expiration of an applicable retention period. The manner of destruction shall be appropriate to preserve and ensure the confidentiality of your information given the level of sensitivity, value and criticality to the University.
You have the right to request access to, a copy of, rectification, restriction in the use of, or erasure of your information in accordance with all applicable laws. The erasure of your information shall be subject to applicable state and federal laws, and the applicable retention periods in accordance with University policies. If you have provided consent to the use of your information, you have the right to withdraw consent without affecting the lawfulness of the University's use of the information prior to receipt of your request.
Information created in the European Union will be transferred out of the European Union to the University. If you feel the University has not complied with applicable foreign laws regulating such information, you have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in the European Union.
Updates to This Policy
Doane University reserves the right to modify, amend, or terminate this policy at any time. Your continued use of the University's website and third-party applications after any such change indicates your acceptance of these changes.
ADMINISTRATION AND INTERPRETATIONS: Questions about this policy and procedure may be directed to the Doane Privacy office: firstname.lastname@example.org.