Associate Professor of PracticePhone Number: 402.826.6753
Department: Business Administration
Credentials: BS, MA
Kathleen Zumpfe is the Chair of the Undergraduate Business Department and Associate Professor of Practice. She started teaching at Doane University in 2002 and was promoted to Associate Professor of Practice in 2019. In 2016, she received the Mission Award from Doane University for living the mission by displaying leadership, inquiry, values, and engagement. Professor Zumpfe has presented on teaching at marketing conferences and published instructor manuals on marketing. She is currently on the Board of Directors for the Marketing Educator's Association and for the Nebraska Economics and Business Association.
M.A. (Marketing), University of Nebraska
B.S. (Business Administration), University of Nebraska
- Marketing (BUS 251)
- Consumer Behavior (BUS 301)
- Promotions Management (BUS 324)
- Contemporary Issues in Marketing (BUS 356)
- International Marketing (BUS 357)
- Sports Marketing (INT 370)
- Marketing Communication Campaigns (BUS 453)
- Understanding the Environment of Business (BUS 101)
Department Chair for Undergraduates, Doane University, 2019-Present
Director of Marketing, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1988-2000
District Service/Consumer Relations Manager, GMC Truck Division, 1987-1988
Executive Training Program, GMC Truck Division, 1986-1987
Doane University, 2002-present
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2003-2007, 1989-1991, 1985-1986
Doane College Mission Award, 2016
Nominated for Teacher of the Year, UNL College of Business, 2007
Certificate of Recognition for Contributions to Students, UNL, 2004, 2005, 2007
- Zumpfe, K. R. (2018). Using Low Stakes Quizzes to Advance Retention and Understanding, Marketing Educators Association, Santa Fe, NM.
- Zumpfe, K. R. (2017). Service Learning: Liberations, Lamentations and Lessons Learned. In J. Tiner (ed) Economics & Business Journal: Inquiries & Perspectives, 8(1): 87-98.
- Zumpfe, K. R. (2010). Instructor's Manual, Consumer Behavior by Schiffman, Kanuk, 10th Ed. Pearson Education, Inc.
- Zumpfe, K. R. (2006). Instructor's Manual, Marketing: Real People, Real Choices, by Solomon, Marshall, and Stuart, 4th Ed. Pearson Education Inc. ISBN: 0131449958
- Zumpfe, K. R. (1995). Marketing and Promoting Continuing Education Programs" Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing. (Published in Hardcover by The Haworth Press under the title, Marketing Public University Outreach Programs.
- Honoraries: Alpha Lambda Delta; Alpha Zeta; Beta Gamma Sigma; Gamma Sigma Delta; Phi Eta Sigma
- Board of Directors, Marketing Educator's Association
- Board of Directors, Nebraska Economics and Business Association
Why did you become an instructor? How did you become interested in teaching?
I first became a faculty member because I was asked. I've since grown, in many ways, and have learned to love the profession. Every day brings new opportunities. Doane is a great place to teach as we are encouraged to try new strategies to enhance student learning. My joy comes from celebrating student successes long beyond graduation.
What is your teaching style? Can you briefly explain your teaching philosophy?
My teaching style is focused on student discovery and student-based learning. Students spend considerable time talking to each other and working with each other to collaborate on ideas, find answers, challenge each other, and help each other learn.
What advice do you have for students to be successful in their coursework?
Approach every class as though it matters, because it does. Take ownership of your learning. Find what works for you. When faculty offer to help, take them up on the offer, as often as needed. Challenge yourself, challenge your professor. Find meaning in all you do.