Person to Person:
It is important to understand what rewards are motivating to each person. Everyone feels appreciated in different ways. Below are some examples of person to person recognition.
- Say "Thank you"
- Write a thank you - note, email, e-cards, sticky notes, etc...
- Send flowers or balloons
- Give chocolates, candy or other foods
- Provide development opportunities - professional training and development, special projects or job specific activities
- Create special awards for those whose actions are "behind the scenes"
- Recognize employees who are involved in serving their communities in which they live and work
- When you hear positive feedback from someone, repeat it to that person as soon as possible
- Greet people by name, smile and shake their hands
- Send letters of thanks to people at their homes
- Send candy awards: "You are on a roll" (Attach Tootsie Rolls); "You're a life saver!" (Attach a package of Lifesavers); "This team has big ideas!" (Attach a package of Whoppers.)
Treat an employee to lunch
Recognition in a group
Accomplishments by individuals or by teams can be recognized in many different ways. Below are some examples of group recognition.
- Recognizing individual or team accomplishments in front of others
- Provide food for the entire department or team (donuts, ice cream, pizza, lunch, etc.)
- Celebrate special events, such as: birthdays, baby or wedding showers
- Hold a department or team retreat
- Establish a "place" to post memos, recognizing progress towards goals
- Send a thank you letter to team members at the end of a goal
- Create a recognition banner or sign and hang it in the department